Free text mode allows the entry of qualifications via a text field. This includes employees that have permission to update their own qualifications.
Generally, it is a more common use case to allow entry of Qualifications in free text. Qualification titles can be extensive and varied, with those variations continually evolving over time. Free text is a good choice when you want to accurately accommodate and track the wide and varying range of qualification titles that people may hold, whereas pre-defining a list can tend to restrict employees from entering the full and complete accurate information about their qualification title.
In Free text mode, Qualifications are added via a Person's summary page. To add a qualification:
- Visit a person's summary page
- Click the "Qualifications" tab.
- If you don't see a Qualifications tab you may not have permission to view or edit that person's qualifications, or the Qualifications module may have been disabled by your Skills Base administrator.
- Click the "Add a qualification" button
- Enter a name, select a status, and optionally enter dates
- Click "Save"
The qualification will now show up on the Person's summary page as well as the Qualifications directory.
Note: To help with consistency and to reduce data duplication, as you type a qualification name a drop down list appears with matches of pre-existing qualifications in the system. This is in place to encourage people to select from the list if the qualification already exists.